Help us reach more Single parents this Christmas has received a donation, donate to this cause to help reach the fundraising target!
Help us reach more Single parents this Christmas
Raised so far
Did you know that one in four families is headed up by a single parent?
They could be your family member, your friend, or a neighbour.
You might have been raised by a single parent, or even be a single parent yourself.
At Gingerbread, we know that single parents are brilliant, but they also tell us that they face extra pressures during the Christmas season.
Nearly half of children in single parent families are living in poverty, so it can be difficult for parents to find extra cash for gifts and holiday sparkle after paying the bills. In 2017, 42% of single parents were likely to still be paying for the previous year’s presents compared to 30% of married couples.
- 58% of single parents felt less confident about their finances in the run up to Christmas, compared to other times during the year
- 1/5 didn't know how they could finance Christmas
- 63% of single parents felt under pressure to give their children everything they want at Christmas even if it meant damaging their finances.
- Just 8% felt they had their money situation under control
It can be tough emotionally too. Although there are almost two million single parents in the UK, they are seldom represented in the cookie-cutter pictures of happy families splashed across Christmas cards and TV. And these images can add to the loneliness that single parents might feel during this period. With the festive season putting such an emphasis on family, togetherness and fun, it can leave a single parent feeling isolated, as they feel the pressure and anxiety of having to be social at this time of year.
Gingerbread’s advice and support services can help single parents manage the practical difficulties, overcome isolation and loneliness and enable them and their families to thrive - not just at Christmas, but throughout the year.
This Christmas you can help us continue these services and reach more single parents who need our services
A donation to Gingerbread gives more single parents access to:
- expert, up-to-date advice and information on complex financial, emotional and practical needs
- friendship and support from other single parents through our groups and online forum, which helps to reduce loneliness and improve mental health and wellbeing
- Gingerbread campaigns, which give single parents opportunities to make their voices heard and change the systems that unfairly hold them back.
Put single parent families on your Christmas list with a donation to Gingerbread.
Together we can help more single parent families when they need us most.
Help us reach more Single parents this Christmas has launched a fundraising campaign, show your support with a donation!